Bark-o-ween and more

Saturday, October 31, 2009
We went to a "Bark-o-ween Party" and pet costume contest today! It was a lot of fun! It was held at a pet boutique (in the parking lot) and the judge for the contest was Svengoolie, a local TV host, he has a TV show where he shows horror movies and does funny skits (like Elvira.) It was really cool to meet him because I have been watching him since I was a kid, he also used to host a kid's show in like 89-90. I got an autograph and my photo (with Bianca) taken with Svengoolie. That photo will be coming in the mail so I don't have the picture yet.

I had Bianca my German Shepherd and my cat Harlequin. Bianca was dressed as the Big Bad Wolf and Harlequin as Little Red Riding Hood. Everyone thought they were very cute. It was kinda cold so I only had the cat out for the actual contest judging... I've been to several costume contests with them this month and they won first place at every other contest-- we entered the ones at Petco, Petsmart, and Chi Town Dog House.
This time they split them up for the judging. Harlequin got 1st place for "Best Cat" aka the "Brave Kitty award" (she was the only cat there heh...) and Bianca got 2nd place for "Scariest Costume". The overall 1st place was two Chihuahuas dressed as Michael Jackson and Diana Ross.

Bianca won a gift basket full of dog goodies and a $25 gift card for the store. Harley won a gift bag full of catnip toys and cat stuff and a gift card. I also found out that I won one of the store's raffles for a nice pet coat from Scooter's Friends brand.

Every contest we've been to, people comment that their cats would be hiding or would not be so calm/happy, or ask if she is okay with the dogs around and everything. Harley was totally comfortable with the contests or I would not have brought her. She has no fear of dogs and barking doesn't phase her either. She and her siblings were raised around my dogs Ginger and Pooch from 3 weeks old, so they have no issue with dogs. Harley is also very outgoing and likes to explore new places. I've taken her to pet shops, pet shows, and cat shows and she is always fine with it. She does pretty well in the cat shows too because she is so friendly and playful.

Here are some photos from the contest today, and below that are a few from the other contests we entered recently.



"Come closer, dearie..."



Svengoolie announcing the winners





The winner for "Best Pet and Owner costumes" - Marie Antoinette



Bianca and Harlequin at the first contest we went to, at Chi Town Dog House (there was one other cat there)





Bianca and Harlequin at Petco's Howl-o-ween event

1 comments:

Yours Faithfully said...

Oh, they are so cute! Hope they had a blast!

Post a Comment